Warming food from porters may have sparked fire in Kilimanjaro

0 17

Warming food from porters may have sparked fire in Kilimanjaro

Tanzanian authorities suspect that porters warming food for a group of climbers accidentally set off a fire which broke out on the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro.

Dry vegetation in the area of ​​Whona, a resting center, quickly caught fire, causing the huge fire, according to Pascal Shelutete, head of Tanzania's national parks.

"The fire is under control and we are making sure that activities escalation are not affected, ”Shelutete said.

Mount Kilimanjaro, Africa's highest peak, is a popular tourist destination and tens of thousands of people climb it every year.

The Mwananchi news site shared a video of Mr. Shelutete speaking to journalists in Swahili.

Social integration from YouTube

This article appeared first on: https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-47639452

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.